Prenatal care can begin as soon as you find out you are pregnant, with early and regular prenatal care showing improved maternal and neonatal outcomes.
Journey Midwifery is here to bring compassionate individualized midwifery care to you. Our birth services include prenatal care, labor, homebirth, postpartum, and newborn care.
Prenatal care is a time to get to know one another. At our initial visit, we will do a thorough history to determine your risk factors, make a plan for your care, and discuss how best to meet your needs. You can still access all of the standard options for pregnancy screening (such as labs and ultrasound) when planning an out of hospital birth. In fact, this is part of our ongoing risk assessment during your pregnancy. Our goal is to help you have a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Prenatal care is provided at our office.
Labor and Birth
Journey Midwifery currently provides home-birth services in San Antonio & the surrounding areas. When you labor and birth in your own environment we will bring our supplies (there are supplies and a birth kit the client needs to buy as well). Afterwards we will clean up, tuck you in to spend time with your newborn.
Postpartum & Newborn Care
Postpartum and newborn care is provided in your home and at our office. Your midwives will file your newborn’s birth certificate and you can obtain a copy from the Texas Buarea of Vital Records in person, online, or by mail. We provide all of the state mandated newborn services, as well as newborn screening, and CCHD (Critical Congenital Heart Disease) screening at your follow up visit. Your newborn will be referred for a hearing screen. Postpartum is the “4th trimester” and it is a time of growing and learning for you and your newly expanded family. We are here to support you and connect you with the resources you need to successfully navigate this time.
Our prenatal and birth services includes:
· Regular prenatal visits that last approximately 45-60 minute
· Professional birth tub use is included (birth tub liner bought by client)
· We are on-call for you from 37-42 weeks
· A trained birth assistant in labor
· Cost of the birth for you and the baby
· 3-4 postpartum visits for follow up after the birth
· Newborn CCHD (Critical Congenital Heart Screen), newborn medications
· The following items are not included in our fees, as they vary, due to individual needs and preferences:
· The cost of any labs and ultrasounds (if you have insurance, it should cover a portion of these), or other health care provider appts (if necessary)
· Non-stress tests, Biophysical Profiles (if needed)
· The cost of RhoGam if needed (Rh Negative blood types)
· The cost of newborn screening and hearing screening
· The cost of a childbirth class (highly recommended for first time parents)
· Birth kit and various other supplies for the birth (such as birth tub line